Monday, October 13, 2008

Preserve Marriage


We have a very big election coming up in November.  Not only are we voting for the president but we, in California, are voting on a huge legislative initiative to preserve marriage.  So, to Californians, please vote YES ON 8!

I know that this could create controversy on my blog and I would ask that those that disagree with me would please realize that w all have our own beliefs and I would like to be allowed the respect to share mine.

Here are the reasons that I think this proposition should be passed....

1. Californian voters passed Proposition 22 in 2000 by more than 61%, saying that a marriage in California is between a man and a woman.  Earlier this year, four activist judges in San Francisco wrongly overturned the people's vote, legalizing same-sex marriages.

2. Gay marriages will be discussed and possible "promoted" in the public school system starting in kindergarten.  For those who think this isn't going to happen...it already has.  In the same week that the No on 8 campaign launched a first grade class took a school-sponsored trip to a gay wedding.  Eighteen first graders traveled to San Francisco City Hall for the wedding of their teacher and her lesbian partner, The San Francisco Chronicle reported.  The school sponsored the trip for the students, ages 5 and 6, taking them away from their studies for the same-sex wedding.  The wedding was officiated by San Franciscan Mayor Gavin Newsom, who arrogantly welcomed the arrival of same-sex marriage by saying, "The door's wide open now.  It's gonna happen, where you like it or not."  Not only will schoolchildren be taught about same-sex marriage if Prop 8 fails, it's already happening. 

3. Churches could possibly loose their not-for-profit status and will start being taxed if they don't agree to perform same-sex marriages.  I am not someone who hates gays.  I've actually had a few friends that were, but that doesn't mean that I agree with the choices that they are making.  Just like I loved my Dad but didn't agree with the choice he made to smoke cigarettes.  Something of this nature should not be something that we have to do or perform when we don't agree with it.   Plus, if the LDS church is taxed then they will have to stop giving the millions and millions of dollars of humanitarian aid that they give throughout the world.  That money will then be given to the government instead of those who are in need.   That would be horrible if that happened.

For those of you on the fence...a big reason why you should vote YES ON PROP 8 is because it doesn't take away the right of gay couple.  They will still keep all the rights they previously had...the only right that will be taken away are the rights of churches and us as parents.

Please vote YES ON PROP 8 so that we can restore the definition of marriage between a man and a woman.  It will have a lasting, long-term affect on our country, society, and families. 

7 comments:

Reuven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
marci said...

Hey Misty-send me your email so I can add you as a friend on my blog. My email is riccardoward@juno.com
Your kids are so big-Isabelle was just a baby last time I saw you!

Barrett, Melinda, Angel Trinity, and Baby Zander said...

I agree! voting yes on Prop 8 is extremely important!

Barrett, Melinda, Angel Trinity, and Baby Zander said...

To answer your comment back, yes I scrapbook and have since I was a teenager. I just haven't gotten into it in years...especially since Trinity passed away.

Reuven said...

We're starting to see Evangelicals question the wisdom of proposition 8.

Misty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Misty said...

Hey Reuven,

You are so quick to put a comment but don't allow users to see your blog. Kinda chicken if you ask me! And, your website made me laugh. I can't believe that you twist something so important. Get a life!

Misty