Monday, March 02, 2009

The Holocaust...



The Holocaust has always been a subject that I have been attracted to.  I'm not quite sure when it started or why it holds such a big place in my heart.  I have always hated history but when it comes to the Holocaust I'm so intrigued.  

When I was in elementary school I remember visiting the Museum of Tolerance a few times.  Maybe it started then.  To see all the lives lost.  To follow a person and to be in tears at the end of the tour because that person that you'd loved and respected through the tour ended up dying in the end.  Or was it reading The Story of Anne Frank.  I can't tell you exactly when these people entered my heart but I can tell you that they have been there ever since.

A few years back my Mom discovered through our genealogy that we have a Jewish descent.  Maybe this is why because I could feel it in me.  

Whatever the reason I think that this is the worst thing that has ever happened in our history.  I just can't imagine such hate.  I feel that we see little bits and pieces of the Holocaust around our world today.   Such hate and killing for no reason other than you don't like what they believe.   I am so thankful that I live in a country where I am able to believe what I want and Im not killed of it.

Here we are 64 years later, in May, and now Iraq, Iran, and others claim that the Holocaust didn't happen and that it was a "myth".  We need to never forget what happened and we need to remember to keep others from ever doing it again. 

1 comment:

Mrs. Michelle Crippen said...

I have to share that on my trip to DC past June I got to see the Holocaust Museum. They did an AMAZING and RESPECTFUL job of putting this museum together. Impossible to get through it without being forever impacted by the experience. Not a dry eye in the building!